Brighten Your Smile with Professional Teeth Whitening
Patients who have yellowed or dull-looking teeth can whiten their smile with a quick in-office treatment or at their own convenience with take-home whitening trays. Dr. Eric B. Fisher has over three decades of experience helping patients achieve brilliantly white smiles with using various teeth whitening methods. At our Plainview, NY, dental practice, we understand your time is valuable, so we aim to provide convenient teeth whitening methods that will fit your busy schedule.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
Tooth discoloration can be caused by a number of factors, ranging from environmental to genetic. To determine if professional teeth whitening will be effective in your situation, it is important to understand the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic stains.
- Extrinsic Stains: The modern diet includes many foods and beverages that contribute to teeth staining, including tea, coffee, food dyes, and red wine. These agents result can cause extrinsic stains, which affect the outer layers of the teeth. This type of discoloration is the most common, and responds exceptionally well to professional teeth whitening.
- Intrinsic Stains: Certain medications or genetic conditions can result in a discoloration of the inner layers of a tooth. Unfortunately, intrinsic stains do not typically respond well to teeth whitening procedures. Patients with intrinsic staining may be better suited for dental bonding or porcelain veneers.
Take-Home Teeth Whitening Kits
We offer safe and effective take-home teeth whitening kits for patients who wish to brighten their smile in the privacy of their own homes. This cosmetic dentistry treatment uses custom bleaching trays that will be given to you, and you will fill these trays with peroxide gel. Once you have placed the trays in your mouth, you will need to wear them for a prescribed amount of time. Because take-home kits have a lower concentration of peroxide, most patients are unlikely to experience teeth and gum sensitivity. Dr. Fisher can help you determine which type of whitening kit will be most beneficial for you, and will provide you with specific instructions regarding its usage. When treatment is complete, the results are just as dramatic as in-office whitening.
Patients who have yellowed or dull-looking teeth can whiten their smile with a quick in-office treatment or at their own convenience with take-home whitening trays.
Professional In-Office Teeth Whitening
Many patients prefer in-office teeth whitening because dramatic results can be achieved in under an hour. Similar to take-home treatments, a peroxide gel will be used to lighten the teeth. However, the concentration of peroxide is much higher with our in-office method than is used for take-home methods. Deeply penetrating the layers of enamel, oxygen molecules will break down the bonds between stains. Because the treatment is performed by a dental professional, the entire process is controlled, safe, and effective. In-office teeth whitening allows you to dramatically lighten the shade of your natural teeth in a single dental visit. When you choose teeth whitening treatments at our practice, you can expect that your treatment will include:
- Cleaning: Before the whitening process begins, your teeth will be thoroughly cleaned to remove any plaque or tartar.
- Application: A team member will carefully apply the whitening gel to the surfaces of your teeth.
- Whitening: After the gel is applied, you can relax comfortably in our treatment room while the peroxide penetrates the surfaces of your teeth. A special light will be shined on your teeth for approximately 15 minutes before the process is repeated once or twice more. Treatment time can vary depending on the patient. However, the process typically takes about 45 minutes.
- Maintenance: Following your treatment, Dr. Fisher can speak with you about how to best maintain your brilliant new smile.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you would like to learn more about professional teeth whitening, schedule a consultation with Dr. Fisher. Whether you prefer take-home or in-office options, we can find a solution that works best for you. Call our office at (516) 942-4440 or contact us online to schedule your appointment today.